Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Choosing a side

After much researching as well as seeing the effects of plastic surgery in society, I have selected the position that plastic surgery is not worth the risks. I feel that it is very possible that more bad things can result from undergoing cosmetic procedures than good. Also, I feel that the desire to have plastic surgery would often come from a deeper emotional issue, and simply "getting work done" may not be enough to fix the true problem. In my opinion, having cosmetic surgery done often does not make a person look younger or more attractive, but simply makes that person look like they had plastic surgery. Another point is that plastic surgery is surgery regardless of anything; there are still major risks and it can be life-threatening. I also feel that true beauty can be found in imperfections, and that the ultimate effect of plastic surgery may be that patients end up looking like "cookie-cutter" people without any unique qualities; plastic surgery may start to give the impression that beauty can no longer be found in imperfections. By choosing this position, I think one of my strongest arguments will be that television has exploited cosmetic surgery, and viewers are misinformed. Another point is how even though cosmetic surgery is often not corrective, it can be extremely dangerous and carries many risks. I will also address the issue of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, and how some patients that have this disorder may never be satisfied with procedures due to their obsession with their flaws. I will also explain how plastic surgery is often only a temporary solution, and is not always guaranteed to change the patient's look for the better. I intend on convincing my readers to agree with my position by using examples and eye opening, real-life situations. Since many people are misinformed about the actuality of plastic surgery, I will present information about the surprising dangers of it, and I will clear up the reality of what really goes on. My concerns about not being able to effectively argue my position are from some very strong pro-side points that I had obtained during research. This includes how plastic surgery is very popular, and does not seem to be going away any time soon, how many people benefit from undergoing procedures, and that it is ignorant to say appearance doesn't matter. I need to be able to contradict these points to prove my position, that plastic surgery is not worth the risks.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn F said...

I agree with the position that you have taken. Consider going into to debth on what some of the risks of having the procedure done are, or examples of people who have had problems with the surgery and recoveries. Keep up the hard work.